Skip to content

Home Income security Membership Ending your membership

Ending your membership


You can resign from the unemployment fund whenever you want to. If you wish to terminate your membership of YTK, please send us a notice of resignation.

The resignation date is the date we receive your resignation form. You can only resign retroactively if you are joining a different fund or retiring. When you change funds, the resignation date is the day before the date you join the new fund. Similarly, when you retire, the resignation date is the day before your retirement begins.

If you have paid the full year’s membership fee and you end your membership in the middle of the year, please state your bank account number on the resignation form to get a refund. You may request a refund if you have at least €10 of your membership fee remaining.​​​​​​

You can only accrue the working condition period as an unemployment fund member. If you resign from the fund and do not rejoin us or join a different unemployment fund within one month, you will forfeit your accrued working condition period.

Being a member of our fund does not stop you from joining a trade union. In other words, you do not need to resign from the fund if you join a trade union.


We may terminate your membership if:

  • you do not pay the membership fee by the due date,
  • you gave incorrect or misleading information when you joined the fund,
  • you fraudulently gave incorrect information or concealed something that affects your eligibility for an earnings-related daily allowance or the amount of the allowance,
  • you refuse to comply with the unemployment fund’s rules or the instructions issued by the unemployment fund’s Board of Directors,
  • you have been a full-time entrepreneur for more than 18 months.

YTK Unemployment Fund’s Board of Directors has authorised the fund’s Managing Director to make decisions on terminating memberships. We consult the member before the termination.

We issue a termination decision. You can appeal the termination by contacting the Social Security Appeal Board.

Your most important obligation as a member is to pay the membership fee. If you do not pay it, we will terminate your membership with effect from the date on which the membership fee was unpaid.

We send payment reminders for unpaid membership fees. The reminder also serves as a consultation, as referred to in the Act on Unemployment Funds, in which we reiterate the consequences of failing to pay the membership fee.

YTK Unemployment Fund is an unemployment fund for wage and salary earners. Please notify us if you become an entrepreneur. You can still be a member of our fund for up to 18 months after you start your business.

However, we recommend you move to an entrepreneurs’ fund as soon as you start your business. This enables you to insure your business against unemployment as soon as you start it. If you remain a member of the YTK Unemployment Fund, we will terminate your membership when you have been a full-time entrepreneur for more than 18 months.

Death of a member

In addition to coping with grief, the deceased’s family members must often take care of many practical matters. Here is some advice on how to deal with matters related to unemployment security.

What to do:

  • Agree with the estate on the responsibilities – who deals with matters related to the unemployment fund.
  • Notify us of the death. We will end the membership and also check if there are any pending issues.
  • We will take care of it so you do not have to. We will advise if, for example, it is still possible to apply for a daily allowance or if there are any pending issues related to recovery or appeals.

Termination of membership and matters concerning the membership fee

We update our members’ addresses annually. In conjunction with this, the population register notifies us if a member has died. In such a case, we can end the membership and no longer invoice for the membership fee.

However, it is possible that we do not find out about the death until after we have invoiced for the membership fee. As a family member, you can contact us and notify us of the matter. We will then alter the membership fee invoice accordingly. 

The payment of the membership fee may affect any pending earnings-related daily allowance matters. We will review the case and advise on what to do if there are any outstanding issues. 

Outstanding earnings-related daily allowance cases

An applicant may be entitled to an earnings-related daily allowance until the day they die. The death estate may apply for an earnings-related daily allowance in the deceased’s name, covering the period prior to death.

It may be necessary for us to recover overpaid benefits after a person has died. Appeals may also be pending. When an appeal is resolved, it may lead to additional payouts or a claim for recovery. We will contact you in these cases.

Who can deal with matters related to the deceased’s earnings-related daily allowance?

After a person dies, the parties to the estate usually have the right of action. According to the law, the parties to the estate include the heirs, beneficiaries of the general legacy and the spouse. A cohabiting partner is not a party to the estate unless they are also a beneficiary of the general legacy.

A party to the estate may exercise their right of action in matters related to unemployment security and can thus apply for a daily unemployment allowance and appeal an unemployment fund’s decision. When you contact us regarding these matters, we must ensure that the person acting on behalf of the estate is actually a party to the estate. We do, however, avoid any unnecessary bureaucracy.

If dealing with matters related to the estate so requires, you can apply for a confirmation of the parties to the estate from the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. The confirmation of the parties to the estate may be used to verify the status of the parties. Heirship may also be determined, for example, from population register data or based on official certificates or other reliable extracts from the personal register.

We can only pay benefits to an account in the name of the estate or the deceased person.

If a court has appointed an administrator to the estate, the administrator exercises the right of action on the basis of the law. Based on their position, the administrator is entitled to apply for an earnings-related daily allowance on behalf of the estate or, for example, appeal our decisions. The administrator can prove his or her mandate based on a court order. Even if an administrator manages the estate, benefits may only be paid to an account in the name of the estate or the deceased.